BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) Senior Design Engineer in Bangalore, India
Job Description Summary
The Senior Design Engineer will assist the design and engineering solutions for high-volume medical device products. (S)he, under the mentorship of a lead engineer, will deliver relevant solutions to new and existing products through design iterations, risk-retirement using first principles engineering, technical analyses/FMEA and verification of the design. The Design Engineer will learn and utilize BD’s stage gate Global Product Development System and use DFM/DFSS and relevant engineering tools to deliver a high quality, robust and cost-effective design and will partner cross-functionally to execute all aspects of product development. They will also ensure successful design-transfer into manufacturing.
• Participate in design efforts over the continuum of product development; Coordinate, deliver, plan & communicate R&D deliverables on the program and maintain collaborative relationships with the cross-functional team (i.e. Marketing, Quality, Regulatory, Manufacturing Technology, Operations etc).
• Deliver design solutions to meet customer requirements and verify that specifications for product systems, subsystems, interfaces and components meet customer requirements and maintain traceability throughout the development process.
• Deliver design solutions that optimize product design, material selection, product features, process design and human-factor needs.
• Analyze the design and utilize robust engineering principles to ensure that the design is optimized to satisfy product and business requirements.
• Implement DFSS rigor throughout the design selection, optimization and development process, leveraging and deploying empirical, statistical and analytical tools which will improve design decisions, tradeoffs, robustness and reduce design iterations and/or cycle times.
• Ensure the design considerations are embedding all applicable DFX (Design for Excellence) aspects including manufacturability, serviceability, reliability and safety.
• Provide technical ownership for product design aspects for developmental and commercial products within the platforms throughout their entire lifecycle. Resolve technical problems. Create solutions for technical problems using systematic problem-solving methodologies and engineering principles.
• Develop subject matter expertise and stay current with new technologies and material advancements. Participate in research and assessment of the industry landscape from IP, regulatory, product, and technology standpoint. Collaborate on technical reviews at the various stages of Design and development.
• Follow Design Control for medical devices to ensure compliance with all local, state, federal, international, and internal safety regulations, policies, and procedures.
• A 4-year degree in a relevant engineering field is required (i.e. Mechanical, Industrial & Production, Bio-medical, Chemical, Materials Engineering and Instrumentation)
• Minimum 5 years of experience leading / supporting product development projects in medical device & Mechanical design using CAD/CAE, Chemical Engineering and Plastics.
• Candidates with prior experience in Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals, Petrochemicals, Aerospace, Automotive will be preferred.
• Exposure to CAD/CAE tools (Solidworks, AUTOCAD, PRO-E, etc)
• Experience with implementing product changes through a structured, phase-gated, product development process is desired. Good understanding of medical device product development risk management methodologies (EURA, FMEA, etc.)
• Demonstrated first principles engineering and design skills (CAD/CAE).
• Ability to analyze, organize and present large amounts of data in a clear and concise manner.
• Disciplined, detailed and well organized with managing documentation in a regulated environment.
• Ability to execute concurrently multiple projects and manage priorities.
• Ability to work independently as well as delegate appropriately.
Primary Work Location
IND Bangalore Technology Campus
BD is a leading global medical technology company that creates medical technology, devices and laboratory equipment for a variety of needs across the healthcare continuum. At BD, we are looking for candidates who possess passion, innovative solutions and a commitment to our one mission of improving access to groundbreaking medical and biotechnology services for people near and far, delivering state-of-the-art technology and cutting-edge research in the battle to fight and cure infectious diseases. With a global reach that extends across 50 countries worldwide, our network of professionals collaborates on effective measures to deliver enhanced patient quality such as lower health care delivery costs, improved health care and safety, and expanded health care for all. Join our company and see how you can become a part of one global mission to make a difference in human health.