BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) Director, Medical Affairs in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Job Description SummaryDirector Medical Affairs, Medication Delivery Solutions
Reporting to the WW Vice President, Medical Affairs (MA), BD Medical- Medication Delivery Solutions (MDS) this position has the responsibility to provide medical, scientific and technical customer-focused leadership and strategic perspectives.
Member of the Medical Affairs Leadership Team (LT) for MDS and the respective Business Group LT for VAD, VMS, ISD or IS. Provides strategic guidance from a medical perspective to value maximization of current and future products, people and processes for the respective business within MDS.
Responsible for enhancing scientific relationships with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), reviewing promotional and educational material for accuracy; leading consultant and advisory meetings; and reviewing grant applications for scientific merit.
• Provide strategic leadership and management as member of the Medical Affairs Leadership Team for MDS and the Business Group LT.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of clinical research and educational strategies in areas of interest globally; participate in the development of strategic plans for future clinical studies.
• Guide design of clinical trials and registries globally. Ensure support for activities in clinical development by collaborating with the clinical operations group.
• Direct the distribution of scientific and medical information to internal and external customers while meeting appropriate legal and regulatory guidelines.
• Co-develop appropriate strategic go-to-market models with business group and commercial teams.
• Direct the identification and development of KOLs across different therapy areas as needed, investigate new uses of BD’s products, and ensure collaboration with appropriate scientific societies.
• Partner with Business Development for evaluating licensing opportunities.
• Participate as needed as part of the crisis-management teams for marketed products, i.e. in case of field corrective actions.
• Ensure relevant and appropriate responses to customer inquiries for relevant BD products.
• Direct the regular review of scientific literature in cooperation with marketing for key-products.
• Continuously maintain “state of the art” level of knowledge for the entire global medical team as to developments and trends in medical science relevant to the business.
• Create and encourage an environment that stresses open, candid, and timely feedback relative to performance.
• Continuously develop knowledge of regulatory, pharmacovigilance and quality assurance requirements in alignment with BD Practice Standards.
Education and Experience
PhD, MD or PharmD in scientific discipline, plus previous management experience
• At least 10 years related experience in the pharmaceutical industry within clinical research or preferably medical affairs.
• Clinical trial experience with solid knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP).
• Proven experience as member higher leadership teams representing Medical Affairs with responsibility for creating medical strategies, developing medical teams and implementing medical processes.
Knowledge and Skills
Demonstrated ability to present complex issues in oral and written form.
Proven people development and mentoring skills.
Proven influencing skills in a matrix organization, through a collaborative style with the establishment of credibility and strong working relationships with cross-functional teams.
Demonstrate strong business acumen and critical thinking skills.
Process-oriented and demonstrates a sense of urgency in completing deliverables through effective goal setting and a strong result orientation.
Must be able to organize, prioritize and work effectively in a constantly changing environment
Excellent written, oral communication and computer software skills. Excellent presentation skills of scientific and medical data to small and large audiences.
Knowledgeable in the areas of regulatory, commercial and clinical issues affecting the pharmaceutical /medical device industry.
Demonstrate ability to identify unmet clinical needs, evaluate product opportunities from a clinical perspective, and help develop strategies that leads to efficient development of such opportunities.
Working knowledge of safety reporting requirements for both drugs and devices.
Ability and willingness to travel 20-30% of time.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status