BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) Sr. Director, Financial Reporting in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Job Description Summary
Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD) has announced its intention to spin the Diabetes Care business into a public company and the new name of this company will be called embecta. embecta is the industry pioneer and leader in diabetes injection devices and it has a long history within BD and is unique in that it focuses on one important disease state which is a threat to world health. embecta has an unequalled reach and connection to diabetic patients and has well-established relationships with key diabetes stakeholders and influencers worldwide. embecta has leveraged deep expertise and advanced technologies to continuously innovate their portfolio specifically tailored to the needs of type 2 diabetics and embecta’s products are diligently designed to enable people who are living with diabetes will benefit from comfortable, effective diabetes care.
• Lead the monthly execution of embecta’s global financial statement consolidation. This includes managing the corporate consolidations financial process, global intercompany process, preparing timely consolidated financial statements, and providing flux analysis and reporting.
• Governance and tracking of new entities, changes in global chart of accounts and ensuring that such updates are reflected in embecta’s consolidated reporting.
• Working closely with Corporate IT and with Finance Systems team, the Director and their team will work on standardizing the global close process and identifying and streamlining the global consolidation process to ensure faster and more accurate consolidation of financial statements.
• This role will require review and approval of monthly journal entries, account reconciliations and analysis. The role will also be responsible for preparing/reviewing global consolidated flux analysis for quarterly reporting.
• The Director will also be responsible for the coordination and or accounting of the acquired entity opening balance sheet and the ongoing consolidation of the acquired entity financials with embecta until full integration.
• The Director will also be the go-to person for the acquired entity accounting personnel and will be responsible for partnering with the accounting team of acquired entity to ensure that the accounting is done in accordance with embecta’s accounting policies and will also be the liaison with Tax, FP&A and other teams.
• This role will work with global key stakeholders in accounting and finance teams to enable process and system improvements.
• This role will partner with our internal/external auditors and various embecta teams to manage and facilitate embecta’s annual audit, being the primary liaison for embecta’s auditors.
• Lead the SEC reporting process, including Forms 10-Q and 10-K and related 8-K’s and other filings as applicable, owning the preparation and filing of required documents, including footnotes, MD&A, and earnings releases in the reporting system.
• Lead the Company’s disclosure committee meetings on a quarterly basis, including presenting the financial statement impact of financial reporting developments.
• Coordinate with Legal, Investor Relations, Human Resources, and Corporate Accounting, and other business teams for key deliverables and information by working collaboratively with business partners for all SEC filings.
• Oversee compliance and review of XBRL tagging in SEC filings performed by 3rd party service.
• Work with the Corporate Controller to help formulate and document accounting policies, practices and procedures and establish systems and controls.
• Oversee the accounting and forecasting for equity-based and other long-term incentive plan accounting and related reporting and support with 3rd party provider.
• Oversee the audit of internal controls and ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley (“SOX”) through the implementation and testing of enhanced financial controls and provide recommendations where areas of improvement exist.
• Perform follow-up on the status of outstanding deficiencies and assisting control owners in the design and implementation of process and control improvements.
• Lead technical accounting research, align with external auditors and document accounting positions.
• Research, analyze, implement new and existing accounting and reporting pronouncements, utilizing authoritative guidance, determining external disclosure requirements, and training relevant functions.
• Assist with month-end close activities as needed.
• Lead and/or participate on planning and project teams as appropriate to reduce cost, improve quality or otherwise improve efficiency of operations.
• Perform other accounting and financial tasks as may be required from time to time.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Professional Work Experience
• Minimum of 15 years of diverse experience in a global publicly-traded company with a diverse background in global consolidations; monthly close; SEC reporting; and technical accounting.
• Preferable mix of public accounting experience at a Big 4 accounting firm and private company accounting experience.
• Strong Consolidations process knowledge (i.e., Foreign Currency Translation, Intercompany Accounting, Legal Entity Reporting, Statutory Reporting and Cash Flow, etc.)
• Good knowledge of U.S. GAAP, specifically ASC 810 (Consolidation), ASC 830 (Foreign Currency Matters), ASC 718 (Stock Compensation), ASC 805 (Business Combinations), ASC 842 (Leases) and a strong working knowledge of ASC 740 (Income Taxes)
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills – communicates in a clear and succinct manner and effectively evaluates information/data to make decisions
• Relevant Sarbanes Oxley experience
• Strong team player – collaborates well with others to solve problems and actively incorporates input from various sources; has experience working with others on a global basis; applies knowledge to coach and mentor others
• Change oriented – actively generates process improvements; champions and drives change initiatives; confronts difficult circumstances in creative ways
• Proactive, a self-starter who is accountable and exhibits ownership of delegated tasks and projects
• Balances multiple and competing priorities and execute accordingly
Education and certification requirements
• BS or BA in Accounting, Business and Finance
• CPA is required.
Financial systems requirements
• SAP and BPC experience is required
• Workiva experience is preferred
• Blackline accounting reconciliation tool is preferred
• Lease Accounting software is preferred
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION: CORE COMPETENCIES
The following key competencies are required in this role:
• Strategic Agility. Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; can articulately create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
• Financial Acumen. Strong financial analysis skills and the ability to convert analysis into tactical actions and recommendations. Ability to define improvements in financial reporting that adds value and drives change. Experience in improving and managing multiple financial processing applications.
• Judgment/Continuous Improvement. Ability to demonstrate sound business judgment with a keen eye for continuous innovation and improvement.
• Leadership and Team Building. Able to motivate and inspire a diverse group of employees and stakeholders by translating corporate financial objectives into something meaningful and tangible. Ability to attract superior talent and develop that talent for future growth.
• Driving for Results. Ability to thrive in a very high growth, entrepreneurial atmosphere and achieve results by understanding and managing the key levers of the business.
• Communication and Influence. Must communicate confidently with people at all levels of the organization. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, capturing and expressing reasoning behind. Recommendations and assumptions. Successfully lead consensus building at all levels.
For many roles at BD, employment is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In some locations, weekly testing for COVID-19 may be available instead of vaccination. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
Primary Work Location
USA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.