BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) Staff Data Scientist in San Diego, California
Job Description Summary
We are seeking a seasoned Staff Data Scientist to help drive innovation and make an impact within the world of health. As a Staff Data Scientist, you will be responsible for individual data science work. You will be working to solve complex healthcare problems using large datasets and an array of advanced data science technology. Every day, you will be working alongside energizing product teams that are eager for your insights that solve our customers’ most pressing problems.
The Data Scientist resides within the Technology Solutions Analytic Services department. Technology Solutions is a software development organization within BD responsible for delivering analytics and surveillance solutions that help hospitals take care of their patients. Capabilities like advanced analytics, user experience design, data science, test automation, project/portfolio management, lean-agile software development practices, and automated software development metrics are critical to our success. Technology Solutions provides data products and solutions to our customers using in-depth detailed medical device and hospital data to improve the safety and experiences for all patients.
• Design, analyze, develop, test, and deploy complex analytical models into enterprise data systems. Perform each task as needed for data science projects as an independent contributor.
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of statistics and mathematical optimization. Perform as the data science liaison and subject matter expert.
• Apply creative and unconventional thinking with standard industry best practices to solve challenging and unique business problems.
• Transform business goals into hypotheses and tangible data mining goals. Plan and execute experiments.
• Collaborate with other business stakeholders to define business problems and to design solutions using advanced analytics.
• Leverage software development principles and break down tasks into measureable time specific milestones.
• Enhance architecture and systems to improve processes, refresh technical capabilities, and ensure that deliverables are state-of-the-art. Implement new tools and new approaches to achieve better outcomes.
• Complete documentation, business reports, white papers, and technical/statistical assessments.
• Master’s degree in a quantitative field with graduate level coursework in operations research and advanced analytics algorithms with 6+ years and PhD 4+ years
• Building and applying predictive models and programming.
• Linear Programming, Mixed integer programming, Resource allocation and Scheduling algorithms.
• R and/or Python programming language preferred.
• Proven knowledge of statistical techniques and advance analytics algorithms is required.
• Minimum of four years of experience manipulating large datasets, using database tools, and programming languages (SQL, Hive Impala and/or Spark).
• A solid understanding of relational database concepts are required.
• Ability to quickly understand new concepts and implement novel designs to advanced data science problems.
• Ability to conduct research on new algorithms and implement in ways that create customer value.
• Strong business acumen.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral) including the ability to communicate complex technical/statistical concepts to a non-technical audience.
• Strong candidates are creative, innovative, and have intellectual curiosity.
Preferred Requirements: Supply chain optimization, Inventory control experience
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego TC Bldg C&D
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.