BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) Vice President - Finance, Biosciences in San Jose, California
Job Description SummaryBackground
BD Biosciences is a provider of products and services for researchers and technicians around the world, offering integrated solutions supporting the life sciences and accelerating the pace of discovery and diagnosis. BD Biosciences offers integrated, high-value applications for drug discovery and development, immune function monitoring, and functional genomics. Customers include academic and government institutions doing basic research in life sciences; biotech and pharma companies engaged in drug discovery and development; and hospitals, reference labs and blood banks performing patient testing and monitoring for quality. From genes to proteins to cells, BD Biosciences provides the most comprehensive portfolio of reagents, systems and technical expertise to support the life sciences arena. BD Biosciences has global annual revenues of $1.2 billion of which approximately 62% is derived from outside the United States. BD Biosciences has manufacturing operations in California, Puerto Rico, Hungary and Singapore. The position is located at the Biosciences headquarters in San Jose, California (50 miles from San Francisco).
The VP of Finance will provide financial leadership to the global business and plays a key role in establishing and achieving financial objectives and the formulation and execution of business strategies. This role will partner with the President of the Biosciences business to balance long-term strategies with near-term business needs, while also working across the corporate operations to support Company-wide goals. Additionally, the VP of Finance will be responsible for ensuring that there are internal controls in place to adequately safeguard the Company’s assets and to ensure that the Company’s financial reporting and general business practices comply with Company financial policies, SEC requirements and U.S. generally accepted accounting principles.
The VP of Finance reports to Senior Vice President and CFO of the Life Sciences segment and supports the President of the Biosciences business. The VP of Finance is expected to provide the necessary financial and business support to the global business. The VP of Finance is expected to be an integral member of the Biosciences Leadership Team, Management Committee, Product Development Team, Innovation Council, and Life Science Finance Leadership Team. The VP of Finance is also a member of the Company’s Extended Leadership Team. There are is one finance director and one senior finance manager reporting directly to the VP of Finance.
Responsibilities and expectations include:
• Be an active and integral member of the aforementioned Biosciences business teams, which includes attending regular team meetings, presenting the financial operating results of the business unit, providing advice and support to the other team members, being actively involved in the decision making process, contributing to the development and implementation of the global business strategy, and functioning as a business partner to the President and other functional leaders of the business unit.
• Oversee the financial planning and analysis functions for the Biosciences business unit, while providing guidance and direction to a team of dedicated finance professionals. Coordinate the preparation of the Biosciences business unit annual budget, quarterly projections and long-term plan to ensure that they are achievable and consistent with overall business unit and corporate objectives.
• Thoroughly understand the global operating results, annual budgets, quarterly projections and long-term financial plan; present operating results at Leadership Team meetings, Associate Town Hall meetings and other forums
• Work with the Business unit President, regional finance leaders and global platform teams (including operations and manufacturing) to meet worldwide financial commitments by providing financial insights and recommendations that will lead to effective business decisions.
• Analyze business agreements, including capital purchases, acquisitions and general contracts to ensure that they make sound financial and business sense.
• Ensure that financial controls are in place that will provide for adequate protection of the business unit assets and the accurate and timely reporting of the U.S. financial results in compliance with Company policies, U.S. GAAP and SEC reporting requirements.
• Assist the Business unit President and Segment CFO in preparing for periodic meetings with investors and analysts.
• Provide financial support for business development initiatives including acquisitions, licensing agreements, business collaborations and other contractual relationships impacting financial performance.
• Ensure that the general analytical and reporting requirements of the Company, related to the Business unit, are met in a high quality and timely manner.
• Create an environment that attracts, retains and motivates a diverse and highly talented workforce. Select, coach and develop individual for high performance and ensure that the Business unit finance organization is adequately staffed with highly competent individuals.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status