BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) Back Up Line Mechanic in Sandy, Utah
Job Description Summary
Back Up Line Mechanic
Perform routine and non-routine adjustments and repairs to production equipment. Troubleshoot and diagnose equipment
and machinery malfunctions and make major and minor repairs as required. Determine the need for additional
maintenance support and assist them as required. Perform predictive and preventative maintenance on all production
machinery. Operates equipment as needed by the department. Participate in all team meetings, activities, team building
initiatives, and continuous improvement activities.
1. Examine inoperative or malfunctioning production equipment and machinery and diagnose source of trouble
(mechanical, electrical, or electronic). Determine what support functions are needed (mechanical or electronic) and
coordinate and assist with repairs to obtain quality production.
2. Dismantle machinery and perform routine and non-routine repairs. Replace broken or defective standard parts with
3. If a defective part is not a stock item, coordinate the manufacture of replacement parts with the appropriate personnel.
4. Reassemble machines and fine tune and adjust equipment under both static and dynamic conditions.
5. Oil, lubricate, and maintain production equipment to support of the Preventative Maintenance Program. Adhere to the
established Preventative Maintenance schedules and remain in compliance with Standard Operating Procedures.
Keep required maintenance records.
6. Participate in training with the maintenance personnel and train operators.
7. Actively participate in the repair of the line under the direction of appropriate maintenance personnel as directed.
8. Assist the machine operators with set-up and changeovers.
9. Participate in plant safety programs and ensure equipment within the cell is operating in a safe manner. Understand
and use the lockout/tag out and bypass system.
10. Know and understand scrap, up-time, and volume metrics.
11. Operate equipment to meet production needs of team.
12. Work overtime as needed by the department.
13. Actively participate in Continuous Improvement teams and activities, including 5S, blitzes, Shift Start-up, updating
PVD boards, etc.
14. Continuously improve through the KAS program, meeting department goals for completed KAS.
15. Comply with all local, state, federal, and BD safety regulations, policies, and procedures including RCRA Hazardous
16. Comply with all local BD quality policies, procedures, and practices through consistent application of sound quality
17. Other duties as assigned.
• Listens effectively (actively listens)
• Constructively responds to point of view expressed by others
• Provides support to those who need it
• Recognizes the interests and achievements of others
CONTINUOUS AND VERSATILE LEARNING
• Has the job, functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment
• Quickly learns new skills and knowledge
• Learns quickly when facing new problems
• Analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; learns from feedback/coaching
• Maintain safe work behaviors
• High quality products manufactured per task documents
• Meet or exceed department KAS completion goals
• Ensure optimum equipment efficiency with minimum downtime
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• High School Diploma or GED
• Effective written and oral communication skills (English), basic math skills, and interpersonal skills
• One to four years experience in repairing industrial equipment, machinery, and high speed assembly equipment
• Working knowledge of electronic, pneumatic, hydraulic, and mechanical systems
• Must be able to follow verbal instructions and understand both metric and American measuring systems
Primary Work LocationUSA UT - Sandy
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status